Saturday, March 28, 2009

Daddy, Don't You Walk So Fast / Papai, não ande tão rápido (Wayne Newton)


Here's a song by Wayne Newton, that I first heard in 1972, and that spoke directly to my own circumstances and experiences, since 1972 was the year in which my parents divorced.

I experienced over and over again, repeatedly, the scene that is described in the song, since the desire not to disappoint one's children rarely seems able to lastingly conquer the need for spouses to separate.

However, I did not resemble the above child in the video at that age. Here are the lyrics, courtesy Google and LyricsMode.Com.


The love between the two of us was dying. O amor entre nós dos estava morendo.
And it got so bad I knew I had to leave. E chegou a ser tão ruim que eu sabia que tinha de ir.
But halfway down that highway, Mas meio caminho por essa estrada
when I turned around I saw quando voltei e vi
My little daughter running after me minha pequenha filha correndo detrás de mim
Crying: Chorando:
Daddy, don't you walk so fast! Papai, não ande tão rápido.
Daddy, don't you walk so fast!
Papai, não ande tão rápido.
Daddy, slow down some 'cause you're makin' me run! Papai, anda mais vagar, pois você me está fazendo correr!
Daddy, don't you walk so fast!
Papai, não ande tão rápido.
Now, it broke my heart to tell my little daughter. Agora, me quebrou o coraçao falar para minha filinha
That her daddy had to run to catch a train Que seu pai tinha que correr para sair de tren
She had no way of knowin' I was leavin' home for good Ela não tinha jeito de saber que eu sai de casa para sempre
I turned around and there she was again Eu mirei para atrás e ahí ela estava de novo.
As she said to me E ela falou para mim:
Daddy, don't you walk so fast! Papai, não ande tão rápido.
Daddy, don't you walk so fast!
Papai, não ande tão rápido.
Daddy, slow down some 'cause you're makin' me run! Papai, anda mais vagar, pois você me está fazendo correr!
Daddy, don't you walk so fast!
Papai, não ande tão rápido.
If only for the sake of my sweet daughter, Se for apenas por o bem da minha doce filha,
I just had to turn back home right there and then. Eu simplesmente tive que voltar a casa ahí mesmo.
And try to start a new life with the mother of my child. E tentar de começar uma nova vida com a mae da minha criança.
I couldn't bear to hear those words again. Eu não aguentava ouvir essas palavras de novo.

She cried and said: Ela chorou e falou:
Daddy, don't you walk so fast! Papai, não ande tão rápido.
My daughter cried: Minha filha chorou:
Daddy, don't you walk so fast! Papai, não ande tão rápido.
Daddy, don't you walk so fast! Papai, não ande tão rápido.
Daddy, slow down some 'cause you're makin' me run! Papai, anda mais vagar, pois você me está fazendo correr!